A diaper rash is a skin irritation under your baby’s diaper. The rash can be on the abdomen, genitals, and in the folds of the buttocks and thighs. Most babies develop a diaper rash at some time during infancy.
Thigh Folds on Baby
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
A diaper rash develops when your baby’s skin is irritated. Irritation can be caused by:
- Leaving dirty diapers on for too long
- Too much moisture next to the skin
- Diapers or plastic pants that are too tight
- Allergic reaction to diaper material or detergent
- Yeast or bacterial infection
- Rubbing or chafing of the skin
Last reviewedMay 2013by Michael Woods, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.