Zinc is an essential mineral that is found in almost every cell of the body. It is necessary for proper growth and immune function. Oysters are well known for their zinc content. But, other animal foods are excellent sources of zinc, as well. You can also get zinc from plant-based foods. But, this zinc is not as well absorbed.
Zinc's functions include:
- Supporting normal growth and development during pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence
- Playing a role in tissue repair
- Helping the body use carbohydrate, protein, and fat
- Helping to maintain proper immune function, including promoting wound healing
- Maintaining a sense of taste and smell
Last reviewedJanuary 2013by Brian Randall, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.