Menstrual Cycle Abnormalities: Treatment
The treatment options for menorrhagia are aimed at:
- Eliminating the underlying cause of the heavy bleeding
- Reducing the heavy bleeding with medicines, surgical procedures, or other treatments
A major goal of treatment is to prevent anemia.
Amenorrhea (Lack of Menstruation)
The treatment options for amennorhea are aimed at:
- Identifying and treating underlying conditions
- Restoring hormonal imbalances
- Identifying lifestyle factors that may be causing the absence of a menstrual period
Treatment for menstrual disorders involves the following:
Last reviewedSeptember 2013by Andrea Chisholm, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.