Pruritus ani is an intense itching in and around the anus. This can cause you to feel the need to scratch. Anal itching is a common problem that many people experience at one point or another.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Pruritus ani can be caused by many things, including:
- Infections (such as pinworms, fungus, streptococcal skin infections)
- Skin disorders (such as contact dermatitis, psoriasis)
- Hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fistula in ano, proctitis, or skin tags
- Certain foods, such as caffeinated drinks, alcohol, peanuts, tomatoes
- Too much moisture around rectum
- Certain medications, such as laxatives
Last reviewedMarch 2013by Brian Randall, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.