The liver, the body's largest internal organ, is made up of many different types of cells. As a result, there are several different types of cancers that can develop in the liver. At The Medical Center of Aurora, we treat all types of liver cancer, including:
- Primary liver cancer or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) (cancer of the hepatocytes, the main type of cells found in the liver)
- Cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer)
- Angiosarcoma and hemangiosarcoma (cancer of the blood vessels in the liver)
- Hepatoblastoma (affecting children)
- Secondary liver cancer (metastatic cancer that spreads from another location in the body)
Treatment for liver cancer varies. In some cases, a liver transplant is necessary. In other cases, a transplant is not possible and a combination of surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or biologic therapy is used. In addition, there are new treatments available for primary liver cancer patients who are not candidates for surgery. For example, drugs like sorafenib can help control the growth of tumors and blood cells in the liver.
Our dedicated team of doctors includes gastroenterologists, oncologists, hepatologists, radiologists and surgeons. Whether your liver cancer is primary, secondary or another type, they can help you through the diagnosis and treatment process.
Learn More: Understanding Liver Cancer