05.03.2011– Who: State Representative and Stroke Survivor Cindy Acree
• Jill Hulbert, The Medical Center of Aurora Stroke Coordinator
• Pediatric Stroke Survivor Jake Hulbert (son of Jill)
• National Stroke Association
• Colorado Stroke Alliance
What: Rep. Acree Introduced Resolution HJR11-1023, “May as Stroke Awareness Month”
Jake and his mother Jill were on hand to support Representative Acree’s resolution on how important stroke education and awareness of the warning signs are for adults and children.
• Jake had his stroke 12/21/09. It started when Jake said, “Mom, my eyes are all wiggly,” and next thing Jill knew is that Jake had a stroke (age 8).
• Jake went through the entire stroke work up with no underlying cause of the stroke.
• Jill has been a cardiovascular nurse practitioner since 2001. In April, just 4 months after Jake’s stroke, Jill accepted the position of stroke nurse practitioner/coordinator at The Medical Center of Aurora, a HealthONE hospital with Primary Stroke Certification.
• “I have learned a great deal,” says Jill, “and am very passionate about stroke, not only for my son but for any one at risk.”
Jill Hulbert with son, Jake Hulbert
Why: The motion was adopted in both the House of Representatives and the Senate
• Resolve and commitment to reducing the incidence of stroke in Colorado
• Improved education and training of EMS and hospital employees
• Hospital goals to achieve national standards of stroke care and accreditation
• Continued public health programs
• Increased resources available for EMS to further assist and communicate with non English-speaking patients
• Introducing stroke awareness and education in the public schools
• Continued telemedicine in rural areas
Strike Out Stroke with the National Stroke Association at Coors Field May 15
• The National Stroke Association will host Strike Out Stroke May 15 at Coors Field. Jake and his mom Jill will be on hand to help promote knowing the warning signs of stroke. Jake will throw the Rockies’ game first pitch.
Leslie Horna, PR Strategist, HealthONE
303.584.6100 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Crowley, PR, The Medical Center of Aurora
303.873.5682 | email@example.com